Tuesday, September 13, 2011

bun in the oven

...well, bread to be precise. You see, during my previous pregnancy I had no cravings whatsoever. From time to time a specific food would be rather appealing, but nothing out of the ordinary and nothing I couldn't do without. This time has been similar, nothing I couldn't live without, but there have been a few occasions where something a little odd would pop into my head. Now, I am a rather picky eater, preferring bland and simple foods, so any sort of food combination automatically counts as unusual for my tastes, safe though they may seem.


The first was early in my pregnancy, where the idea of apple pizza was simply awesome. Just think of a nice thin crust dough with an apple bbq sauce (like they do at Montana's) some yummy pulled pork and mozza to top it off. No wait actually with a few very thinly sliced pieces of apple to top it off; perfect! Still waiting on this one.


Then, for a while I decided that fried plantain coins would be the perfect place for some pulled pork in bbq sauce. Turns out they are! Hopefully this one is still as appealing after the baby because it really is a very lovely snack.


Finally, a friend of mine mentioned a bakery by her house a few weeks ago and instantly I could see the perfect loaf of bread. Blueberry Cinnamon Bread. Yum. It has to be bread, not like a cake loaf, but it should be sweet. I eventually came around to realizing that a cinnamon raisin loaf (raisins substituted for blueberries, obviously) would suffice.


Anyhow, with my little one due in just a few days, my mom has been visiting and pretty much taking care of us. And it just so happens that she is a fabulous bread baker. Sure enough, even with the help of my little chef-Bugaboo, in no time she had a few loaves of bread, a loaf of pumpkin-spice bread, and a blueberry-cinnamon loaf baking merrily in the oven. So they now sit on the cooling racks, the scent wafting through the house, making it a beautiful relaxing afternoon.


It turned out perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment